Thursday, April 29, 2010

Nominate Your Favorite Adoption Books

Adoptive Families magazine is seeking nominations for readers' favorite adoption books in the following categories:

1) Adoption memoirs
2) Adoption-friendly parenting books
3) Children's picture books about adoption
4) Children's books that celebrate diversity
5) Young-adult novels with an adoption storyline
6) Novels with an adoption storyline

Of course, I hope you'll cast a vote in the adoption-friendly parenting books category for my , What I Want My Adopted Child to Know: An Adoptive Parent's Perspective. I've been overwhelmed by reader response, and I'm extremely grateful. But I'd also like to know what books you would nominate for the other categories.

I'm thinking Ola Zuri's Why Can't You Look Like Me? for category #4, Kelsey Stewart's The Best for You for category #3, Katie DeCosse/Jackie Maher's Fifty Years in 13 Days and Ann Fessler's The Girls Who Went Away for category #1. Although Fessler's isn't an adoption memoir so much as it is birth mother memoir, I think it should be required reading for all prospective adoptive parents. I haven't read any from category #5 or #6. What's out there?

How to vote: E-mail the book title(s) you're nominating to letters@adoptivefamilies.com. Be sure to indicate which category, and they'd also like to know why you're nominating a particular book.

What other adoption books would you recommend?

Click here to purchase Sally's , What I Want My Adopted Child to Know: An Adoptive Parent's Perspective.

Sally Bacchetta
The Adoptive Parent
My Google Profile+

6 comments:

Kelsey Stewart, Author said...

Thank you so much for the thoughts about nominating my book! I will definately check this out and let my readers know as well!!!

What a wonderful resource you are!
Kelsey

Adoptive Momma said...

I'm going to repost on my blog if you don't mind!

Kelsey Stewart, Author said...

You betcha! Thank you again for making me aware of this.

Maru said...

You asked too late. I had already nominated your book on April 28. ;o)

These were my nominees:

1) Adoption memoirs

"Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother" by Jana Wolf.

2) Adoption-friendly parenting books

"What I Want My Adopted Child to Know - An Adoptive Parent's Perspective" by Sally Bacchetta

3) Children's picture books about adoption

"Tell Me Again About The Night I Was Born" by Jamie Lee Curtis

4) Children's books that celebrate diversity

"Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes" by Mem Fox

Anonymous said...

I love the Girls Who Went Away! I don't hear many people talk about it but always recommend it to prospective adoptive families!!!

Anonymous said...

I too am going to nominate Ola Zuri for category 4 - her books are doing so much for my kids already. Thank you for making me aware of this information! Oh, and I voted for your book too!